Simplicity-Lit: Giving to Get? Part II
Monday's Simplicity-Lit was a passage from Go-Givers Sell More. Today I add a passage from Launch, an absolutely AMAZING book by Michael Stelzner, that advocates the same sort of giving approach to selling.
- "Perhaps you are familiar with the rule of reciprocity eloquently described by Robert Cialdini in his book Influence. He defines a persuasive rule that transcends borders and culture. The rule of reciprocity asserts that people are hardwired to respond to a favor or givft by returning one of their own.
- "In many ways, reciprocity has become a curse. Businesses often use gift-giving as a way to obligate people to respond - to force an unnatural response.
- "Here's where businesses get it wrong: Knowing about the rule of reciprocity is one thing; expecting something in return for your efforts is an entirely different matter.
- "When a gift is actually a marketing message in disguise, don't be surprised when people don't engage or reciprocate."
- Launch, by Michael Stelzner - John Wiley & Sons, 2011
So Launch is saying (and he actually says this), don't Give/Take/Take/Take. Instead, Give/Give/Give.
Very interesting stuff. I really really recommend Launch. It's an outstanding manual for marketing in our changing, ever-more challenging world.
What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below.